The "find a new San Mateo meet location" thread

Post your meets, autox/track events, tech days, BBQ's and drives here.
User avatar
Big Lan
NCR Supporter
Posts: 6463
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:26 pm
Car(s): Too damn many
Location: Setting shit on fire

The "find a new San Mateo meet location" thread

Postby Big Lan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:48 pm

We've been going to windy city in San Mateo for several years. They just recently decided they wanted to close earlier - 9 pm instead of 10 pm. Given our propensity to stand around in the parking lot before going inside to eat, that doesn't leave a whole lot of time for eating. So, it's time to find a new venue.

Some considerations would be:

-Open until at least 10 pm, preferably later.
-Near a highway, or more than one if possible. The confluence that windy city sits at is a prime example.
-Reasonable parking. I'm sure this is only going to get read by, like, three people other than me that actually give a shit, but this is still ostensibly a car meet, so being able to park together is a plus.
-Beer. Self-explanatory.
-Ability to order separately with relative ease.

There's certainly other nice-to-haves, but these are a good start. There'll also undoubtedly be compromises, but there's bound to be something around that fits the bill.
67 Volvo 122s | 71 Pontiac Grand Prix | 88 Thunderbird Sport | White '90 A Pkg | '95 PEP | 03 GMC Sonoma
Scandinavian Flick wrote:I like women because kitchen

TheOtherRedMiata wrote:I'm a bitch!
User avatar
maxh2o
Stage 4
Posts: 3869
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:35 am
Car(s): nothin special
Location: the City

Re: The "find a new San Mateo meet location" thread

Postby maxh2o » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:56 am

It seems like the easiest option would be to eat first, THEN stand outside.


just sayin.
User avatar
Big Lan
NCR Supporter
Posts: 6463
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:26 pm
Car(s): Too damn many
Location: Setting shit on fire

Re: The "find a new San Mateo meet location" thread

Postby Big Lan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:21 pm

That works OK, until it starts to rain...

Another possibility could be to start earlier, but traffic is so shitty in general around here anymore, that might make it less appealing to come play.
67 Volvo 122s | 71 Pontiac Grand Prix | 88 Thunderbird Sport | White '90 A Pkg | '95 PEP | 03 GMC Sonoma
Scandinavian Flick wrote:I like women because kitchen

TheOtherRedMiata wrote:I'm a bitch!
User avatar
JediJoker
Stage 2
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:58 am
Car(s): 2011 VW Jetta SW TDI 6MT
Location: The Frozen North™

Re: The "find a new San Mateo meet location" thread

Postby JediJoker » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:24 am

Hardly a replacement, but... BJ's at Bridgepointe is open late, has beer, and an appropriate parking lot.
- JediJoker

Image "Dieselgate" / 2011 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI 6-speed

SRN DI G SAO wrote:IMSA: International Man Sauce Association
User avatar
maxh2o
Stage 4
Posts: 3869
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:35 am
Car(s): nothin special
Location: the City

Re: The "find a new San Mateo meet location" thread

Postby maxh2o » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:27 am

Haven't been there in forever...any good?
User avatar
Big Lan
NCR Supporter
Posts: 6463
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:26 pm
Car(s): Too damn many
Location: Setting shit on fire

Re: The "find a new San Mateo meet location" thread

Postby Big Lan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:06 am

Mmmmmm, I like BJs...oh, you're talking about something else...
67 Volvo 122s | 71 Pontiac Grand Prix | 88 Thunderbird Sport | White '90 A Pkg | '95 PEP | 03 GMC Sonoma
Scandinavian Flick wrote:I like women because kitchen

TheOtherRedMiata wrote:I'm a bitch!
User avatar
TheOtherRedMiata
Stage 4
Posts: 2649
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:10 am
Location: San Jose

Re: The "find a new San Mateo meet location" thread

Postby TheOtherRedMiata » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:55 pm

Marteeeeeeen does makes a valid point. Since I don't know the area, I have no suggestions.
brkinshiz wrote:Great. Now there's Pick-N-Pull on my cheese.

Douche Bag Boy wrote:
brkinshiz wrote:No one wants you to flip and die [. . .]

Speak for yourself.

Image
User avatar
Big Lan
NCR Supporter
Posts: 6463
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:26 pm
Car(s): Too damn many
Location: Setting shit on fire

Re: The "find a new San Mateo meet location" thread

Postby Big Lan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:11 am

TheOtherRedMiata wrote:Marteeeeeeen does makes a valid point.

Of questioning BJs? Probably, but that doesn't make for a solution. Unfortunately, I don't get out much, so I don't know of anything better either...

What do you say, folks - Should we give it a try?
67 Volvo 122s | 71 Pontiac Grand Prix | 88 Thunderbird Sport | White '90 A Pkg | '95 PEP | 03 GMC Sonoma
Scandinavian Flick wrote:I like women because kitchen

TheOtherRedMiata wrote:I'm a bitch!
User avatar
JediJoker
Stage 2
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:58 am
Car(s): 2011 VW Jetta SW TDI 6MT
Location: The Frozen North™

Re: The "find a new San Mateo meet location" thread

Postby JediJoker » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:02 pm

maxh2o wrote:Haven't been there in forever...any good?

Not really. Typical chain brewery restaurant. But it's there and it's open and it would work.
- JediJoker

Image "Dieselgate" / 2011 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI 6-speed

SRN DI G SAO wrote:IMSA: International Man Sauce Association
unnerv
Stage 2
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:40 pm
Car(s): c6

Re: The "find a new San Mateo meet location" thread

Postby unnerv » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:03 pm

They are open until midnight, and have lots of parking tho.
User avatar
maxh2o
Stage 4
Posts: 3869
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:35 am
Car(s): nothin special
Location: the City

Re: The "find a new San Mateo meet location" thread

Postby maxh2o » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:31 am

I'm down to give it a go
User avatar
Douche Bag Boy
Stage 4
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:51 am
Car(s): 97 Montego
Location: Not getting stabbed in not Oakland.

Re: The "find a new San Mateo meet location" thread

Postby Douche Bag Boy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:44 am

If the new spot ends up near CalTrain, I might show up now and then.

I've probably driven to work a dozen or so times in the past couple years and none of them have lined up with meets (or I haven't bothered to check because I'm too busy being pissed off about all of the traffic and whatever the reason for having to drive to work is.)
Image
http://fb.me/FastAutoRaceTeam Like us on Facebook!
User avatar
Scandinavian Flick
Moderator
Posts: 10331
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:08 pm
Car(s): 2012 Poser Sedan S
Car(s): 1997 4Boder
Car(s): 1984 Tool Shed

Re: The "find a new San Mateo meet location" thread

Postby Scandinavian Flick » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:53 am

Was wondering what happened to you...

So, yeah, as I suspected; lazy. :P
Image
User avatar
brkinshiz
NCR Supporter
Posts: 4414
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:00 am
Car(s): BWAAAAAAAAHHH!!!
Car(s): r srs bsns
Location: The waters of Lake Minnetonka

Re: The "find a new San Mateo meet location" thread

Postby brkinshiz » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:44 pm

BJ food is meh, but the beer/alcohol selection tends to make up for it. I’m open to giving it a shot.
Image
DISCLAIMER:

I make no apologies.
User avatar
Big Lan
NCR Supporter
Posts: 6463
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:26 pm
Car(s): Too damn many
Location: Setting shit on fire

Re: The "find a new San Mateo meet location" thread

Postby Big Lan » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:56 pm

Well, looks like I'm gonna be out of state next wednesday...I'll post the meet thread if youse guys want, or someone who'll actually be there could do the same. Let me know how it turns out.
67 Volvo 122s | 71 Pontiac Grand Prix | 88 Thunderbird Sport | White '90 A Pkg | '95 PEP | 03 GMC Sonoma
Scandinavian Flick wrote:I like women because kitchen

TheOtherRedMiata wrote:I'm a bitch!
User avatar
Big Lan
NCR Supporter
Posts: 6463
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:26 pm
Car(s): Too damn many
Location: Setting shit on fire

Re: The "find a new San Mateo meet location" thread

Postby Big Lan » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:29 pm

So, yeah...did anybody actually meet up last time?
67 Volvo 122s | 71 Pontiac Grand Prix | 88 Thunderbird Sport | White '90 A Pkg | '95 PEP | 03 GMC Sonoma
Scandinavian Flick wrote:I like women because kitchen

TheOtherRedMiata wrote:I'm a bitch!
User avatar
maxh2o
Stage 4
Posts: 3869
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:35 am
Car(s): nothin special
Location: the City

Re: The "find a new San Mateo meet location" thread

Postby maxh2o » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:35 pm

I was out of the area

Return to “Events and Meets”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests