Engine work, Tranmissions, LSD's, Diff swaps, etc
drdl
Stage 0
Car(s): 2004 MSM
Car(s): 2003 330i ZHP

2004 MSM Stalling Problem

Postby drdl » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi guys,

I bought a 2004 MSM a couple of months ago. It's been running fine, but started doing weird things about 2 weeks ago. I was wondering if you guys can give me some ideas of what might be causing the problem.
I don't know the technical terms, but I'll try to describe the symptoms the best I can.

While driving:
1. The RPM will drop and the engine will always stall if I let off the gas and depress the clutch.
2. If I just let off the gas, but keep it in gear for awhile before depressing the clutch, the engine will occasionally stall.
3. If I keep the RPM up and shift the engine does not stall.

When the car is just sitting in neutral, the engine does not stall after I rev it.

Some people I have spoken to thought it is either a vacuum leak or that I might need an aftermarket ECU to deal with all the aftermarket parts.

The previous owner has made the following modifications to the car:
1. AEM air intake
2. Larger injectors (I think he said 305cc Supra/lime top?)
3. Manual boost controller (set at 9.5 psi)
4. Magnaflow muffler
5. Larger aftermarket intercooler
6. Forge bypass valve
7. Bell Engineering (I think) throttle body inlet tube

I installed the following a few days ago (sypmtoms started before these parts were installed):
1. FM downpipe
2. FM midpipe
3. FM exhaust
4. FM big brake kit
5. New clutch and aliminum flywheel

Any help/suggestions or shop/mechanic recommendation would be great.

Thank you.
Twibs415
Stage 3
Car(s): 94 miata
Car(s): 01 s4

Re: 2004 MSM Stalling Problem

Postby Twibs415 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:52 pm

sounds like it could be a vac leak but it would have to be a pretty big one to kill the car.

another thing to try, unplug the MAS and seeing if the car will run. even take it off the car and inspect it see if its dirty in there.

any engine check lights? all the mods you have should still keep the car running at the very least. how much vacuum does the car pull at idle?
Proud member and Co-founder of the PPRG (Panini Party Racing Group)
newold_m
Stage 2
Car(s): 10AE
Car(s): Volt

Postby newold_m » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:54 pm

Do you have a boost gauge? If so, check the vacuum at idle and when coasting. Coasting < 20 in Hg and idle < 8 inHg is I recall correctly. Also check to make sure your idle is set at 950 rpm and adjust if it's low (need to jumper at the diagnostic port). After I installed the AEM intake on mine I had some idle dip issues too, though it wasn't as severe as yours. Went over the vacuum connections thoroughly and that fixed it.
Old: '04 MSM
Older: '97M
aram
Stage 1
Car(s): 04 msm
Car(s): 91 rx7

Postby aram » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:13 pm

I had problems with my MSM stalling and running like crap when I bought it and it turned out to be some vacuum leaks. There are a lot of places there can be leaks on the car so be thorough when you look.

I would try also to switch back to stock injectors and see if it stops, those bigger ones could cause issues too.

Also you might as well clean out the little solenoid that always causes issues on MSM's, look up the "msm bog solenoid" on google it should show how to do it.

The stock MSM computer sucks. It's really bad. I'm still amazed that people just put larger injectors on without changing anything and accept it just running richer everywhere, but I guess when the stock computer sucks so much it isn't any worse than what you started with.

I am pretty much ready to switch to megasquirt, just researching everything now. The crappy redline with the really high final ratio irks me, along with the horrible fueling. Put a wideband on your car and you won't want to go wot with it unless you unplug the TPS or do the zener diode trick.
--------
bunch of sweet rigs.
drdl
Stage 0

Postby drdl » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:16 am

Hi guys,

The car idles at 950 RPM and the boost gauge reads 20 InHg

When coasting with the car in gear, the boost gauge reads 25 InHg

I'll try the MAS ans solenoid suggestion this weekend.

There are a lot of hoses under the hood. I will try to check them all, but are there certain ones that are more likely to be the cause?

Thank you.
newold_m
Stage 2
Car(s): 10AE
Car(s): Volt

Postby newold_m » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:06 am

Check the ones around the AEM intake especially the ones that are unused since you have the MBC. Also check the MBC as well.
+1 on returning back to stock injectors, one less variability to deal with.
Old: '04 MSM
Older: '97M
drdl
Stage 0

Postby drdl » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:15 pm

Update on the car's stalling issue. Maybe someone with the same problem will find it useful.

Took the car to a shop.
- Checked for a vacuum leak, did not find one.
- Mechanic thought it might be a bad bypass valve (Forge). Replacing the bypass valve with a new one (Turbosmart) partially solved the problem...the RPM would drop way down, but no stalling.
- Asked the mechanic to do a few more things unrelated to the original issue before I picked up the car. The car wouldn't start when he tried to take it for a test drive...dead fuel pump.
- Mechanic replaced the fuel pump...now the car runs fine. No stalling, no RPM dips. Yay!

Return to “Power and Performance”