Grippy, inexpensive tires that fit stock 14x6 rims?

Engine work, Tranmissions, LSD's, Diff swaps, etc
porsche911rpg
Stage 2
Car(s): 91 miata
Car(s): vdub cabbie

Re: Grippy, inexpensive tires that fit stock 14x6 rims?

Postby porsche911rpg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:09 pm

TheOtherRedMiata wrote:Falken RT 615k, I have them on the 7 spoke wheels...they seem to like this wheel better than the daisy...cheap too and pretty grippy

+1
Great tire for summer dd with tons of grip for not being a R comp tire.
The shop in San Bruno sells them in that size for under $100 I believe.
No Control
Johnny 1
Stage 0
Car(s): 1994 Miata C package

Postby Johnny 1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:29 am

I have had my Firestone HR Champions on my car for about 9 months now and about 5,000 miles or so. They are nicely broken in, running them at 28psi and normal alignment. They work well on dry roads and decent on wet roads too. No hydroplaning, I drive more cautiously in wet weather. I have Flying Miata sway bars with 949 Super Miata endlinks, ST springs (1" drop all around) and Koni Strt shocks. Handles like a go kart.
94 Cpkg, Torsen LSD, 1999 engine swap, RB intake, Jackson Racing header, Cobalt SS catback, SS lines, slotted/drilled rotors, ST springs, Koni Strt, FM Swaybars, 949 links, Hella H4 headlights, louvred covers, refurbished interior, alarm with kill switch
Johnny 1
Stage 0
Car(s): 1994 Miata C package

Postby Johnny 1 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:07 pm

I finally decided to get rid of my Firestone HR Champions after having them about a year. Just not grippy enough. I went with Falken 912s, inexpensive, quiet, and grippy in the 195/60R14. Then, after I did my engine swap I was looking for a place to do a quick oil change because my homeowners association forbid such activities. I found a Goodyear tire store in Campbell CA. The mechanics were very interested in my Miata. I came back to do another oil change (still breaking in the engine, a rebuilt 1999 1.8L) and one of the mechanics bought a Miata! He had a set of used Rota RB15s 15x8 for real cheap. I bought them and put on a set of Dunlop Direzza DZ101, 195/50/15 82V. Looks nice but I had to roll the fenders because the offset is low and the wheel sticks out a little bit (plus I'm lowered 1" all the way around on Koni STR shocks). Still rub a little on the wheel well lining when hard cornering but the car is more stable now, highway lines have no effect but I lose about 1 mile per gallon (about 29/30 isn't bad though). I don't like the camber setting on the rear wheels, -2 but I am not about to fork out a couple of hundred of bucks for a Megan Racing rear camber kit.
94 Cpkg, Torsen LSD, 1999 engine swap, RB intake, Jackson Racing header, Cobalt SS catback, SS lines, slotted/drilled rotors, ST springs, Koni Strt, FM Swaybars, 949 links, Hella H4 headlights, louvred covers, refurbished interior, alarm with kill switch

Return to “Power and Performance”