Suspension, chassis tuning, brakes, alignment
thoreau
Stage 0
Car(s): 99 Miata
Car(s): 11 Fit
Car(s): 02 S2K

Brake Pad Help

Postby thoreau » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:56 pm

I have stoptech street performance and after a track day where they faded pretty bad, ive noticed that their stopping power has significantly decreased. Even on the street now they need more pedal to get the car to stop. I'm guessing its time to replace the pads? I checked them recently and there is still a lot of pad left on them. The other question is if i replace the pad, do I have to replace the rotor as well? Or can i just re-bed them?
Schmoe Money
Stage 2
Car(s): 1995 Miata
Car(s): 1994 Miata

Re: Brake Pad Help

Postby Schmoe Money » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:49 pm

It sounds like the pads might have glazed over from the heat... especially if you still have a lot of material left on them.
This might be a good time to remove your pads, scuff them up on a flat surface with some sand paper, and try reinstalling/rebedding them.

Or, shoot an email to Stoptech and ask for their input?

And of course, you might want to think about swapping in a different pad next time you head to the track, since it sounds like these didn't appreciate how the brake pedal was used at speed.

:)
Twibs415
Stage 3
Car(s): 94 miata
Car(s): 01 s4

Re: Brake Pad Help

Postby Twibs415 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:20 pm

Try bleeding them first. if not pop the pads out and skuff them on the floor (sometimes you dont have sand paper ya know?) always new rotors with new pads. Iv gotten away with new rotors and old pads.
Proud member and Co-founder of the PPRG (Panini Party Racing Group)

Return to “Handling”