WTF is going on with my Koni Yellows!?

Suspension, chassis tuning, brakes, alignment
wakaranai
Stage 2

WTF is going on with my Koni Yellows!?

Postby wakaranai » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:41 am

These are on my 135i.

I recently developed a gnarly rattle in the front driver's side top strut mount area. I popped the hood last night and saw this!:

Note that there is a gap between the adjuster and the top of the shaft. The top has been hitting the underside of the strut brace! :

This is my passenger side for reference:

I moved the strut brace out of the way and the adjuster still works well. I can push the adjuster down and the gap will close, but when I rock the car (load that that corner) it comes back up!!?? What is going on?

There is no fluid leaking anywhere and that corner dampens perfectly fine...

Huge thanks in advance for any advice, tips, solutions :)
"If you are personally disposed towards fanaticism, dogma or are perversely obstinate, philosophy may not be your best choice." --Disclaimer in a philosophy text book
red5racing
Stage 3
Car(s): 94R, 91A, 92 Sunburst,
Car(s): 95R, 91A Smurf
Car(s): Trek 5900

Re: WTF is going no with my Koni Yellows!?

Postby red5racing » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:15 am

Can you still turn the adjuster fully left and right. I had this happen on one of my (miata) koni's and the symptom was that I couldn't turn it soft. The price of a Koni yellow was so low that i just bough another one (ok, I know they sell them in pairs, but there's this place on Amazon that sells one at a time) rather than messing with a rebuild.
94R: no ABS, no PS, no AC, no OBDII, no TCS, no DSC, no ASC, no CC, no PDL, no PW. Just 225/50 Hoosier A6's

wakaranai
Stage 2

Re: WTF is going no with my Koni Yellows!?

Postby wakaranai » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:09 pm

red5racing wrote:Can you still turn the adjuster fully left and right. I had this happen on one of my (miata) koni's and the symptom was that I couldn't turn it soft. The price of a Koni yellow was so low that i just bough another one (ok, I know they sell them in pairs, but there's this place on Amazon that sells one at a time) rather than messing with a rebuild.

Yeah, Adjusts all the way in both directions...
"If you are personally disposed towards fanaticism, dogma or are perversely obstinate, philosophy may not be your best choice." --Disclaimer in a philosophy text book
porsche911rpg
Stage 2
Car(s): 91 miata
Car(s): vdub cabbie

Re: WTF is going on with my Koni Yellows!?

Postby porsche911rpg » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:34 pm

Had the same thing happened to a buddy of mine.You should to replace it.There should be a o-ring visible,soon there will be fluid leaking out.
No Control

Return to “Handling”