How many cars have you wrecked, and how?

Driving techniques on or off a track
maxh2o
Stage 4
Car(s): nothin special

How many cars have you wrecked, and how?

Postby maxh2o » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:38 am

Time to pick the banter up again. I want to know the what, where, when and how questions of destroying a beloved automobile (yours or someone elses?)

I'll start.

What: my1984 Mazda RX7 (FB)

Where: San Francisco city streets

When: December 1997 (El Nino year)

How: cornering during a sudden torrential downpour, I couldn't see in front of me and hit a pole. Flipped it, lucky to be alive.

pic is not my car, but close enough.
JediJoker
Stage 2
Car(s): 2001 Audi A6 2.7T quattro

Re: How many cars have you wrecked, and how?

Postby JediJoker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:41 am

How about other cars and animals I've wrecked using cars I was driving?

Pretty soon after earning my provisional license, I was driving home from rowing practice in the family '03 Honda Odyssey ("The Pimp Van," R.I.P.). I had just turned left from Marsh Rd. west onto Middlefield Rd. south in Atherton, nearly home. The next intersection, coming up pretty quick, is a T into Middlefield on the right, Watkins Ave. I can't think of a single time I've turned right onto Watkins from Middlefield south, because if I'm driving that stretch of Middlefield, I'm going home, which is to the east. This particular evening was no different.

During commute times, cars line up to turn left from Watkins onto Middlefield north. It's just a stop sign, so depending on traffic, it can be a long wait. One driver decided she'd had enough and just pulled out right in front of me as I'm still accelerating up to cruising speed. I slammed the brakes and swerved left in a vain attempt to avoid her and the other waiting cars, hoping she'd also realized her mistake, but alas: too late. I slammed right into her left front wheel. She was fine, I was fine, and the Odyssey was barely scratched, but her E46 touring was not gonna drive away and was probably about to be totaled.

If you know Atherton, then you know how close we were to the police station. After verifying she was OK, I pulled to safety and called the police. They sent over a squad car forthwith and took some statements. She claimed she turned because she saw my right turn indicator lit. Ummm... Maybe, if I over-eagerly manually canceled the left turn indicator after making my left onto Middlefield and clicked it over. In any case, you don't start a turn in front of indicating traffic until you see said traffic start their turn. Officer agreed she was at fault and I had no liability. Took her insurance info and left with the smug air of someone who just took an idiot down a peg and took a hideous E46 touring off the road.

I'll let Robert tell the tale of the Deer and das Boot.
- JediJoker

Image "Das Boot" / 2001 Audi A6 2.7T quattro sedan

SRN DI G SAO wrote:IMSA: International Man Sauce Association
maxh2o
Stage 4

Postby maxh2o » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:25 am

Although I do have a soft spot for wagons, I can forgive you for not appreciating an e46 (at least it wasn't a e30[see below]). I also appreciate you taking down an idiot driver, and calling out Bert to chime in. I know that there are other NCR peeps who've danced with the devil in the pale moonlight, time to step up and fess up.

Big Lan
NCR Supporter
Car(s): Too damn many

Postby Big Lan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:52 pm

maxh2o wrote:Although I do have a soft spot for wagons, I can forgive you for not appreciating an e46 (at least it wasn't a e30[see below]).

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-q-nwR9mcnn8/VJJkVDkfrEI/AAAAAAAACuE/DJ1ObblueN0/w689-h517-no/IMG_0102.JPG[img]

Troof. I also like the guy flipping the bird out the driver window. Real classy, like a BMW owner, or someone who would associate with a BMW owner.

I'm not entirely sure I'm ready to cop to my stories just yet...gonna require some convincing.
67 Volvo 122s | 71 Pontiac Grand Prix | 88 Thunderbird Sport | White '90 A Pkg | '95 PEP | 03 GMC Sonoma
Scandinavian Flick wrote:I like women because kitchen

TheOtherRedMiata wrote:I'm a bitch!
brkinshiz
NCR Supporter
Car(s): BWAAAAAAAAHHH!!!
Car(s): r srs bsns

Postby brkinshiz » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:46 pm

*checks statute of limitations*
DISCLAIMER:

I make no apologies.
JediJoker
Stage 2
Car(s): 2001 Audi A6 2.7T quattro

Postby JediJoker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:21 am

maxh2o wrote:Although I do have a soft spot for wagons, I can forgive you for not appreciating an e46 (at least it wasn't a e30[see below]).

I also like wagons. I like the E30 touring a lot, as I do many other BMW wagons. The E46 touring is a special case. It takes one of Chris Bangle's best designs (a dubious honor, but the E46 is no slouch) and completely ruins it.
- JediJoker

Image "Das Boot" / 2001 Audi A6 2.7T quattro sedan

SRN DI G SAO wrote:IMSA: International Man Sauce Association
maxh2o
Stage 4

Postby maxh2o » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:45 am

Big Lan wrote: I also like the guy flipping the bird out the driver window.

lol.
maxh2o
Stage 4

Postby maxh2o » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:22 pm

bump.

Return to “How's My Driving?”