Buying a road bike off CL?

Motorcycle, Sidecar, Moped, Soapbox, Tricycle, Big Wheels, etc.
Douche Bag Boy
Stage 4
Car(s): 97 Montego

Buying a road bike off CL?

Postby Douche Bag Boy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:44 am

I have no idea about cycling gear, but am looking to pick up a road bike to ride to work and back (hopefully) everyday. It's a 20 mile ride, most of which is down Foothill Expressway. What should I be looking for in a road bike, and is it worth going to CL? I know I'm probably going to end up with Look pedals either way. I guess the first thing I should do is figure out what size of frame I need...

Any advice?
http://fb.me/FastAutoRaceTeam Like us on Facebook!
slowstr8fastturns
Stage 3
Car(s): 1993 Miata
Car(s): bianchi eros

Re: Buying a road bike off CL?

Postby slowstr8fastturns » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:13 am

How tall are you?
Whats your budget?
Do you like otters?
thehak
Stage 3
Car(s): 99 nb

Postby thehak » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:13 am

slowstr8fastturns wrote:How tall are you?
Whats your budget?
Do you like otters?

what he said, and CL is a good place to buy
Douche Bag Boy
Stage 4

Postby Douche Bag Boy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:42 pm

slowstr8fastturns wrote:How tall are you?
Whats your budget?
Do you like otters?

I'm about 5'10", I think. I'll post a real number when I get a chance to check, but I've heard that a good rule of thumb for frame fitting is to get frame sized (center of crank to top of seat post) about 2/3 the length of your in-seam. Has anyone found this to be a way to do it?

Not sure about my budget, I can afford to spend quite a bit, but I don't think there's any need to go overboard. I'm looking for a bike that'll be good for my 2 * 20 miles a day, and maybe some longer riding during the school year. If there's certain components to avoid, or that would be particularly good for me, it'd be nice to be able to look out for those, too.

Do you mean the animals? I think they are pretty cute.
howangsNA
Stage 3

Postby howangsNA » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:36 pm

bikesdirect.com
slowstr8fastturns
Stage 3

Postby slowstr8fastturns » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:16 pm

howangsNA wrote:bikesdirect.com

Yeah I back that

If your looking for something cheap, A to B bike, bikes direct is your best bet. I think there some assembly required ,just make sure you do it right.And your good to go.
red5racing
Stage 3
Car(s): 94R, 91A, 92 Sunburst,
Car(s): 95R, 91A Smurf
Car(s): Trek 5900

Postby red5racing » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:05 pm

Douche Bag Boy wrote:I'm about 5'10"

You'll likely be a 56cm +/-

Douche Bag Boy wrote:I can afford to spend quite a bit,

What does that mean? The nice stuff is about $8k. A serviceable road bike from CL is $250. B If you know nothing about road bikes, you probably don't want one. A hybrid (not a Prius :D) would be better.

Douche Bag Boy wrote:If there's certain components to avoid, or that would be particularly good for me, it'd be nice to be able to look out for those, too.

There's nothing really bad, but your choice depends on usage. Look at Shimano 105 as a start point. Pick a frame material - try riding carbon and aluminum.

Don't buy your first bike online. Go to a bike shop (like Chain Reaction), test drive a bunch of bikes and get them to fit you. Then go to CL and buy a used version of whatever it was that you liked for 50% off. If you want something nice, the local bike teams sell off their team bikes at the end of the year.

Then go to a bike shop and get them to fit you properly. This means, stem, saddle, shoes bars. Just buying a 56cm bike gets you in the ballpark, but it isn't enough.

Don't skimp on the fitting.

Craig
94R: no ABS, no PS, no AC, no OBDII, no TCS, no DSC, no ASC, no CC, no PDL, no PW. Just 225/50 Hoosier A6's

Douche Bag Boy
Stage 4

Postby Douche Bag Boy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:35 pm

red5racing wrote:
Douche Bag Boy wrote:I can afford to spend quite a bit,

What does that mean? The nice stuff is about $8k. A serviceable road bike from CL is $250. B If you know nothing about road bikes, you probably don't want one. A hybrid (not a Prius :D) would be better.

Well I could probably afford ~$2k, I just wouldn't see the point unless nothing less would do or I was getting a ridiculous deal on a bike that I'd never get rid of.

red5racing wrote:
Douche Bag Boy wrote:If there's certain components to avoid, or that would be particularly good for me, it'd be nice to be able to look out for those, too.

There's nothing really bad, but your choice depends on usage. Look at Shimano 105 as a start point. Pick a frame material - try riding carbon and aluminum.

Don't buy your first bike online. Go to a bike shop (like Chain Reaction), test drive a bunch of bikes and get them to fit you. Then go to CL and buy a used version of whatever it was that you liked for 50% off. If you want something nice, the local bike teams sell off their team bikes at the end of the year.

Then go to a bike shop and get them to fit you properly. This means, stem, saddle, shoes bars. Just buying a 56cm bike gets you in the ballpark, but it isn't enough.

Don't skimp on the fitting.

Craig

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably head down to a shop next weekend and get a better idea of what I need in a bike to get it to fit right... then check CL if I have a chance in hell in getting what I need there.
I figure that getting a bike with the right size frame off CL will probably end up being cheaper than a new bike even if I end up replacing the stem, saddle, etc (was already planning pedals and shoes) than a new bike, and I don't think I'd notice the wear or minor year-to-year changes; fit is key though.
I sure will feel like a douche going to a bike shop w/o intent on buying :roll:
thehak
Stage 3

Postby thehak » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:08 am

the people at Chain Reaction are nice, they they got me fitted even when they knew i wasnt go to buy from them
Douche Bag Boy
Stage 4

Postby Douche Bag Boy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:24 pm

I ended up finding 2004 Bianchi Eros it's barely been ridden and it's great. Campy's Mirage is pretty damn good. The shifting is a lot more defined than my dad's old STIs.
slowstr8fastturns
Stage 3

Postby slowstr8fastturns » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:44 am

Douche Bag Boy wrote:I ended up finding 2004 Bianchi Eros it's barely been ridden and it's great. Campy's Mirage is pretty damn good. The shifting is a lot more defined than my dad's old STIs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/catfoodicecream/4350334222/
Copycat :P

The Eros is a great bike . And believe me , its a strong bike. Ive done centuries on mine , endless city riding, off road trails and its still smiling.
Douche Bag Boy
Stage 4

Postby Douche Bag Boy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:30 pm

Yeah, that's pretty much my bike right there. I have a celeste seat and bar-wrap to round out the girly color scheme. Haters gonna hate.
Douche Bag Boy
Stage 4

Postby Douche Bag Boy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:59 am

Oh, yeah, now I still need shoes. I really like my dad's SIDI Geniuses, but they are pretty expensive at list price. Need to look for a deal =/

Also, need cheap, generic cycling clothes. I don't want to be a billboard or look like I think I'm some kind of racer. :roll:
Douche Bag Boy
Stage 4

Postby Douche Bag Boy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:40 pm

Just finished the Fallflower Century up here in Chico.
I've put around 1350 miles on the bike since I picked it up.
Would be more, but I ordered some tires (gatorskins) off amazon, and they took forever to show up... was expecting 2 day (spoiled by prime) and then as soon as they showed up, I came down with a cold and didn't ride for 2 weeks... made the century ride way "fun."
thehak
Stage 3

Postby thehak » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:56 pm

nice job centurys are fun, just done my 3rd one last week at clear lake.

Return to “Two Wheel Motion”