Oh Snap! *literally!*

Roadster related topics only.
Qckslvr
Stage 2
Car(s): 91 Miatamatic
Car(s): 08 MS3

Oh Snap! *literally!*

Postby Qckslvr » Fri May 22, 2015 5:45 pm

Heading up the 237 at 6:30 in the am at about 70ish I hear a pop, followed by some light wobbling. First thought, "Oh crap a blow out!" Then the wobble went to large thud as the nose dove for the ground, and nasty metal grinding sounds with smoke just pouring out the left front corner of the car. I was able to make it to the shoulder, hop out and viola..... a broken lower ball joint. I called Sunnyvale towing...... $400 "you are in a hazardous area and you car is lowered." I told them to pound sand. Called Campbell's Towing, He stared at the car for a good ten minutes..... $60 to tow it to my work. Deal!!! I was completely expecting the guy to rip the front of the car off..... I was prepared for it. He busted out a small jack, stuck some blocks of wood under the busted wheel, and slid the car up on the roll back. Kinda did the same at work, and not a single bit of damage to the nose or spoiler. I gave him a $100 just for not effing up the poor car then it already is LOL.

So the down and dirty. Called Fly'n and ordered up lower ball joints, HD sway bar mounts, and their stiffer rubber bushing kit. Got a hold of V8 Roadster and ordered up their rebuildable upper ball joint kit. $1000 in parts and this car should have a tight front and rear suspension once again.

Guess I am riding the GSXR to work for a week or so LOL
brkinshiz
NCR Supporter
Car(s): BWAAAAAAAAHHH!!!
Car(s): r srs bsns

Re: Oh Snap! *literally!*

Postby brkinshiz » Fri May 22, 2015 7:52 pm

Jesus. Glad you're all good.
DISCLAIMER:

I make no apologies.
Qckslvr
Stage 2

Postby Qckslvr » Fri May 22, 2015 8:09 pm

brkinshiz wrote:Jesus. Glad you're all good.

you and me both!
Big Lan
NCR Supporter
Car(s): Too damn many

Postby Big Lan » Fri May 22, 2015 10:18 pm

I bet that was a fun ride...
67 Volvo 122s | 71 Pontiac Grand Prix | 88 Thunderbird Sport | White '90 A Pkg | '95 PEP | 03 GMC Sonoma
Scandinavian Flick wrote:I like women because kitchen

TheOtherRedMiata wrote:I'm a bitch!
Qckslvr
Stage 2

Postby Qckslvr » Sat May 23, 2015 7:28 am

Big Lan wrote:I bet that was a fun ride...

took everything I had to keep it in a straight line. Traffic was the biggest pain. Smoke rolling from the car and they would not let me to the shoulder.

Then there was the Jaguar....... While sitting on the side of the road a white Cal-Trans tow truck showed up. The guy was supper nice, he sat there the entire time. While we were chatting I took a quick glance back, looking for my tow truck, and here was this Jaguar racing up the shoulder trying to pass people. I told the driver he was about to get plowed as I ran for the bushes. Jag goes into a four wheel skid, and then cuts back into traffic all while blowing his horn and flipping us off...... I am seriously glad the tow truck was there.
Qckslvr
Stage 2

Postby Qckslvr » Sun May 31, 2015 9:22 am

so a small update

The lower ball joints, IL motorsport bushing kit, and one steel braided brake hose came in Thursday :)
The upper ball joints were supposed to be here Thursday..... Due to bad weather..... possibly Tuesday :(
Bell Engineering is still blowing smoke up my ass...... now on week 8 of turbo order, with promises to ship it next week..... They said that two weeks ago... About ready to cancel the order :(
Flying Miata cross flow radiator, and fan kit due in Monday :)

I was able to get the car in the air Thursday and pull the left front wheel off. I was really concerned that I may have to replace the wheel, but I got lucky, it did not grind that much into the wheel. Maybe it is time for 6ULs? Everything else seems to be ok. With any luck at all I will get my car back on Thursday of next week. Although commuting on the GSXR is faster...... I have already had one close call from a lady texting while driving.

Also as a stroke of family luck..... My sister's 2002 F150 with a triton V8 popped a spark plug Saturday at 190,000 miles. I know.... it is expected LOL..... It is her only vehicle so today I am going with her to look at a 1991 BMW 318i convertible with a brand new top on it. 291,000 miles on it 5 speed, passed smog, runs really good, NO dents! Guy wants $3000 for it. Hell I might buy it :p
Big Lan
NCR Supporter
Car(s): Too damn many

Postby Big Lan » Sun May 31, 2015 10:45 am

Qckslvr wrote:Also as a stroke of family luck..... My sister's 2002 F150 with a triton V8 popped a spark plug Saturday at 190,000 miles. I know.... it is expected LOL..... It is her only vehicle so today I am going with her to look at a 1991 BMW 318i convertible with a brand new top on it. 291,000 miles on it 5 speed, passed smog, runs really good, NO dents! Guy wants $3000 for it. Hell I might buy it :p

Seems to me a timesert would be cheaper and less headache than owning a bmw...
67 Volvo 122s | 71 Pontiac Grand Prix | 88 Thunderbird Sport | White '90 A Pkg | '95 PEP | 03 GMC Sonoma
Scandinavian Flick wrote:I like women because kitchen

TheOtherRedMiata wrote:I'm a bitch!
TheOtherRedMiata
Stage 4

Postby TheOtherRedMiata » Sun May 31, 2015 4:09 pm

I test drove a 98 f150 with 97k miles. It was about to blow a plug. So, with 190k she should consider herself lucky.
brkinshiz wrote:Great. Now there's Pick-N-Pull on my cheese.

Douche Bag Boy wrote:
brkinshiz wrote:No one wants you to flip and die [. . .]

Speak for yourself.

Qckslvr
Stage 2

Postby Qckslvr » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:37 am

It is really a crap shoot. Some of them do, a lot don't.

on the plus side. Her truck is now fixed. And my car is in our shop getting the bushing pressed in. Concealed damages! When the A arm popped it must have bounced off the rotor because there is a chunk missing from the rotor :(

Also discovered that Jess had installed 2005 MSM 10.5" front brakes on the car :D
TheOtherRedMiata
Stage 4

Postby TheOtherRedMiata » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:24 pm

Those brake were mentioned in the cl add
brkinshiz wrote:Great. Now there's Pick-N-Pull on my cheese.

Douche Bag Boy wrote:
brkinshiz wrote:No one wants you to flip and die [. . .]

Speak for yourself.

Qckslvr
Stage 2

Postby Qckslvr » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:06 pm

TheOtherRedMiata wrote:Those brake were mentioned in the cl add

could have sworn she only mentioned the updated rears. *shrug* been a while..... there has been some stress since then :p

Upper ball joints came in today. I am impressed with them! Got em from Bill at Miata Roadster. With any luck I will have my car back on the road by Friday. Stuck the damaged wheel on the balancer at lunch time, and it spins true and in balance :D

Qckslvr
Stage 2

Postby Qckslvr » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:03 pm

the Miata is moving along that was taken this morning, the front is now completely put back together. And this evening he had the left rear reassembled. Should get my car back tomorrow. They keep pulling him off my car to work on other customers Fords...... I am not complaining, I am getting some free labor out of it as well. :)

Having the car up on the lift is always eye opening. Discovered a sheered off sway bar bolt in the rear, and one of the front sway bar mounts has a tiny hair line crack. I bought the FM front sway bar mounts, but I am going to install them. My shop is getting enough out of me :p Also I found out why my car has a "tinny" exhaust ring sometimes..... where the pipe goes into the muffler is completely cracked and busted. 255,000 miles..... not bad for a stock exhaust. Also discovered a snapped off stud on the manifold down pipe, surprisingly no signs of an exhaust leak though.

Still no word from Bell Engineering on my turbo system. My patience is at it's end. I can understand things need to be built, coated, and etc. It's the flat out lies they keep spewing that are pissing me off.

So now I am thinking a JR header, selling off the turbo exhaust and buying something different. And keep the car NA.
Qckslvr
Stage 2

Postby Qckslvr » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:42 am

at 4:00 pm dead (when our shop closes) our alignment guy rolled my Miata off the rack :D The car is a different animal now with all new bushings and ball joints. I can't wait to take it up a couple back roads to see how it feels under a little pressure. Our alignment guy even told me to give it back to him on Monday and he will re-check everything. :)

It was a bit scary Friday after noon though. Originally our alignment guy walked up and told me that they could not align the Miata. That none of their wheel adaptors went small enough to fit the car. I had to think fast so I called our neighbors America's Tire. I didn't care if it was a crap alignment, I needed to go shopping LOL. Never realize how much you need a car until you don't have one. Learned that America's doesn't do alignments but a really good shop was just up the street on Rogers called Shaghasi. He told me no problem, but not till next Tuesday. So I gave Sake Bomb a call, nope no alignments there, but she recommended SB Garage which was a bit far. So she recommended another shop closer called Rotor Sport. Rotor Sport could not do the car till Monday. It was starting to look like it would be another fast food weekend, plus another tow bill to get the car to one of the shops. Just as I hung up the phone with Rotor Sport our alignment guy runs up and tells me they got the adaptors to fit, and I could take it that night. :D

I have to say, all the shops were quite helpful, especially Sake Bomb. She was quick on the recommendations, and advice. :)

Return to “Roadster Banter”