So I am gonna buy another Miata.

Roadster related topics only.
mrFanel
Stage 4
Car(s): '14 A6 TDI

So I am gonna buy another Miata.

Postby mrFanel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:34 am

Discuss.

I am thinking of going to my roots - grabbing a 97 NA if I can find one, preferably montego blue but that's a tall order...
Big Lan
NCR Supporter
Car(s): Too damn many

Re: So I am gonna buy another Miata.

Postby Big Lan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:46 am

Doooo eeet. Then, install three inch meatpipe.
67 Volvo 122s | 71 Pontiac Grand Prix | 88 Thunderbird Sport | White '90 A Pkg | '95 PEP | 03 GMC Sonoma
Scandinavian Flick wrote:I like women because kitchen

TheOtherRedMiata wrote:I'm a bitch!
Scandinavian Flick
Car(s): 2016 Crowd Controler
Car(s): 2009 Interceptor
Car(s): 1984 Tool Shed

Postby Scandinavian Flick » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:00 pm

Good luck finding a clean one, but yeah, can't argue it. What are you driving now?

Also, +1 3" meatpipe.

I just added meatpipe to my Swype dictionary.
mrFanel
Stage 4

Postby mrFanel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:55 pm

My daily is a '14 A6 TDI (yeah the polluting one) Prestige. It's the S-Line too which pretty much means its fully loaded minus the ridiculous $6000 Bang and Olufsen stereo and the driver's assistance package (dynamic cruise control, lane assist and birds eye view). It's a badass car with an incredible amount of torque and can do 40+ MPG without breaking a sweat. '

Prior to the TDI I was DD'ing a 14 A4 Prestige 6 speed, but my commute (Livermore <-> Milpitas) was killing me and I sold it, bought a RAV4 Hybrid for the wife and took over the TDI. And before the A4 I had a Stage 2 MK6 GTI that could run circles around mostly everything. I sold that thing for more than I could have ever hoped.

But the bug for a little stick shift has stuck and since I already have two family cars, I can afford to get something that requires no kid-hauling (yes I got kids) duties.
2cam16
Stage 4
Car(s): '01 Subaru Fozzy
Car(s): Specialized HR Disc
Car(s): '82 Shogun Sport300

Postby 2cam16 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:21 am

Do it, Genie!
Rob
mrFanel
Stage 4

Postby mrFanel » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:57 pm

I need to find a good one first :\
mrFanel
Stage 4

Postby mrFanel » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:40 pm

I know dude - I am holding out for an NA with clothe seats for as long as I can stand but I too think a NB may be what I'll end up getting :\
mrFanel
Stage 4

Postby mrFanel » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:04 am

Alright so - after having another bebe (yay 2 kids), emergency bathroom renovations (yay leak + termites) and sweet sweet Audi settlement money (yay dieslegate) - I'm back to looking at a decent NA or NB although I haven't excluded an MR2 spyder OR perhaps even a FB RX7 variant.

Thoughts?
maxh2o
Stage 4
Car(s): nothin special

Postby maxh2o » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:29 am

NAs for days

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/6208695447.html $4000 low miles hard top (hard paint)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/6193714328.html $3600 M edition low miles

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/6206632494.html $7600 SC'd with tasty mods

dew it.
mrFanel
Stage 4

Postby mrFanel » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:01 am

Yeah the supercharged one is the top contender, but I am a bit scurred that there's a ticking timebomb somewhere in there that will become my headache.
billybobster
NCR Supporter
Car(s): Track day 95 M
Car(s): 2008 A4 Avant

Postby billybobster » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:35 pm

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/6206632494.html $7600 SC'd with tasty mods

This one, very tasty line up of quality mods.

As the owner of a CARB legal turbo'd 95 running at 8psi, I say 9psi ain't no thing. And CARB legality is a golden ticket. Just buy eet and have much fun. Ignore the naysayers who may point out that the original engine on my car blowed up.

a. I was the third owner to have tracked it. Tracking is just plain hard on a car when you drive flat-out as I do.

b. Weird rare failure according to T and Steve Cardelli. One of the con-rod bolt nuts just backed off. Badness ensued.

Buy eet.
95 M turbo'd track day car - 2008 A4 Avant (still beloved DD)

"Every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain." - Homer Simpson
maxh2o
Stage 4

Postby maxh2o » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:42 pm

I've had my SC'd NB now for over four years, so far, just normal wear and tear issues. And speaking frankly, $7600 is a damn good deal for all the work and extra equipment that goes into these things.
mrFanel
Stage 4

Postby mrFanel » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:22 am

I hit him up - apparently the kit was installed in early 2000 by a Dinan mechanic...? Does that ring a bell at all?
maxh2o
Stage 4

Postby maxh2o » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:13 pm

So the kits been on for 17 years... I'd imagine all the kinks have been ironed out by now?
mrFanel
Stage 4

Postby mrFanel » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:52 pm

The seller acquired it oct/nov of 2016 - replaced the supercharger pulley and belt but other than that, no issues according to him. Boost management is done by a JR controller that is spliced into the ECU; I assume that's the standard?
Big Lan
NCR Supporter

Postby Big Lan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:03 pm

mrFanel wrote:Boost management is done by a JR controller that is spliced into the ECU; I assume that's the standard?

The ol' JR PowerCard is the nazi...err, CARB-approved management for those blowers. Standard as far as the installed kit goes? Quite likely. But engine management has come a long way since PowerCards, Bipes, and RRFPRs were the gold standard. That said, that stuff works just fine if you're not looking to make a ton of power, and just want to cruise quickly.

TL;DR: Buy the thing, install three inch meatpipe, and zoom-zoom.
67 Volvo 122s | 71 Pontiac Grand Prix | 88 Thunderbird Sport | White '90 A Pkg | '95 PEP | 03 GMC Sonoma

mrFanel
Stage 4

Postby mrFanel » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:40 pm

Big Lan wrote:
mrFanel wrote:Boost management is done by a JR controller that is spliced into the ECU; I assume that's the standard?

The ol' JR PowerCard is the nazi...err, CARB-approved management for those blowers. Standard as far as the installed kit goes? Quite likely. But engine management has come a long way since PowerCards, Bipes, and RRFPRs were the gold standard. That said, that stuff works just fine if you're not looking to make a ton of power, and just want to cruise quickly.

Mmmm meat-pipe... Supposedly it should make 180 HP? Assume drive-train loss - 160ish to the wheels; that should be balls quick for a Miata, no?
Scandinavian Flick
Car(s): 2016 Crowd Controler
Car(s): 2009 Interceptor
Car(s): 1984 Tool Shed

Postby Scandinavian Flick » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:55 pm

Big Lan
NCR Supporter

Postby Big Lan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:49 am

mrFanel wrote:
Big Lan wrote:

Mmmm meat-pipe... Supposedly it should make 180 HP? Assume drive-train loss - 160ish to the wheels; that should be balls quick for a Miata, no?

Depends on your definition of balls quick, I suppose. It also depends on how lacking you feel a stock Miata is in the power department.

I think 160whp is pretty well maxed out on the MP45 blower. I drove Frankie's sunburst with a stock JR kit (I seem to recall ~120-130 whp for that) and I thought it was plenty fast. Not that there wasn't the potential for me to maybe want to go faster, but I didn't feel like it was desperately slow (I also don't necessarily think a stock 1.6 car is desperately slow for what it is. My little Sonoma, on the other hand, that thing is desperately slow...).

I guess, define your goals, and see if that power level (and the car overall) fits those goals. The real answer, of course, is to own lots of cars to fill different niches, then you don't have to worry about one car doing everything.

mrFanel
Stage 4

Postby mrFanel » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:11 am

I am not looking for a speed demon; just some fun to toss around the corners... I've talked to the guy, might check it out next weekend.
mrFanel
Stage 4

Postby mrFanel » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:06 pm

Update: so the supercharged miata may not happen - hit the owner up and 1. he's selling it for a friend (someone named Daniel - ring a bell)? and 2. it apparently would not pass smog; he "passed" it if you catch my drift but it appears the readiness codes never go green even after replacing cat and "various" sensors.

Still trying to figure out what "various sensors" means.
mrFanel
Stage 4

Postby mrFanel » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Another update:

Checked out two Miata's today:

NA: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 89153.html

NB: DAMMIT - posting expired.

Anyway:

NA - Pros:

* Super clean inside and out; repainted not too long ago by the pre-previous owner.
* Fully loaded (L Package?) - has a Torsen, full leather (meh).
* Top is in good shape but has a plastic window.
* No leaks or issues that I could see.
* Good tread on tires
* Drives well; no weird sound, etc.

NA - Cons:

* Underbelly tray missing; but I don't see any damage so I guess someone forgot to put it back on?
* Kid owned it for 2 months; has an internship at Tesla and is going back home to GA and decided not to ship it... a bit sketch but I did see a Tesla badge in the trunk so... Previous owner had it for a very short time too after buying it from an old lady. She sold it cuz she got tired of the hard top being stolen.
* No maintenance records. Car has ~116K on it and the kid doesn't know when the timing belt was done last. I would think about 90K since it's a CA car but who knows.

NB - Pros:

* LS model; 6 speed, Torsen diff - the works.
* Fog lights! Yay!
* Shifter kit - not sure from where, X5 Racing or something like that?
* Bilsteins up front; KYB GR-2s in the back. Solid ride; not much body roll.
* Body is straight.
* Drives well; no weird leaks or issues that I could see.

NB - Cons:

* Dude just cleaned the engine bay about 2-3 weeks ago; I couldn't see any leaks or gunk or anything so it was hard to tell whether there were any leaks. That said - the CAS has gunk around it so I am guessing if there were any serious leaks, 2-3 weeks would be enough to see them.
* Front tires have maybe 5-8K miles on them; rear tires have a lot of tread.
* While the body is straight, lots of dings and what not. Passenger side mirror has chipped and peeling paint; can see the plastic mirror housing.
* Top was shoddily repaired; two pieces of denim glued together. When it rains, it drips slightly on the driver side. It looks horrendous though - would need replacement.
* Interior - while no broken pieces or major rips, there are spills and residue of crap... not something you can easy wipe or mop off.
* Also no maintenance records; guy bought it 2 months ago and his buddy came across an S2000 so he wants to unload and buy the S2K. Car has about 130K on it and he was planning on doing a timing belt at 140K since he is not sure when it was done last.

NA asking price: $5000. I feel he's pretty firm on it; said someone offered him $4800 not too long ago and that there's a lot of interest in the car - and I'd believe it since it is really clean exterior wise... which would make me feel bad since I'd have to park it outside, not to mention door dings and shit like that.

NB asking price: $5600. I think I can negotiate it to $5000 considering the cost of tires, cost of new top (which is optional) and upcoming maintenance. The exterior is not an issue (see above), but the interior will drive me nuts. Not to mention leather - I hate leather (despite both my current cars have it cuz kids).

So - what do you guys think? If I see the NB re-posted, I'll post the link.
mrFanel
Stage 4

Postby mrFanel » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Update 3: So the S/C'd Miata is a definitive no-go. Apparently the reason for it failing readiness codes is due to a cracked head which was discovered after the owner decided to take it a shop.

Sadness and despair but at least not my headache.
maxh2o
Stage 4

Postby maxh2o » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:22 pm

Sux about the sc'd NA. sorry man.

So I was looking on CL for you just now (I know, you can thank me later), and found this instead. And having owned several MKII's, I'm kind of tempted.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/d/vw-cabriolet/6221922229.html

Return to “Roadster Banter”