AVOID HARDTOP THEFT - TopLoc GB - 17% off + FREE SHIPPING!!!

For Group Buys only. Non-GBs will be removed or deleted.

Interested in a different color?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:52 pm

RED
41%
BLUE
24%
GREEN
18%
Other - please explain in your post
18%

Total votes: 17
minime
Stage 4
Car(s): Miata
Car(s): 4 more Miatas!

AVOID HARDTOP THEFT - TopLoc GB - 17% off + FREE SHIPPING!!!

Postby minime » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:39 pm

Hardtop theft season is upon us, as we all know too well. I have hardtops on all of my miatas and the ONLY reason I haven't secured my tops yet is because I live in hillbilly country where nobody even seems to know what kind of car I drive, so they are relatively safe, well and I have been lucky no doubt. That said, last winter I was quite nervous with all the thefts being reported around the bay area and I contemplated replacing the side latches with SM plates and security hardware.

The only problem is the standard security fasteners can be removed with readily availble security hardware tools. The only feasible options were custom made fasteners and tools, but they are VERY expensive and it still does little to prevent a thief from overlooking the fasteners when he busts your side window and then gives up.

I strongly believe the BEST solution to not only prevent hardtop theft, but to provide a visual deterrent that will likely prevent busted windows is the TopLoc solution. I met the inventor of these locks @ the Miatas@MRLS event back in March and I was amazed with the ingenious product. At the time I wanted a set, but I was not crazy about the only available color, which was purple, however perhaps purple is the best for visual deterrence?

FAQ's

Q - Instead of ordering a pair of locks, if I order a single lock(either pax side or driver's side) do I get the 10% discount?
A - It depends on how many requests for pax side locks and driver's side locks there are. TopLoc's makes an even number of passenger and driver locks so he needs to sell them in pairs. Also,using only one lock theoretically will do the job however making it easy for a thief to damage the top if they try to pry the locked side off the car.

Q - I live in California, am I subject to CA state sales tax?
A - Yes, those of us who live in Cali will be subject to CA sales tax.

Q - On the order page you have a drop down menu for “Year of your miata”, but you only list 1999 through 2003, which is confusing because I believe the side latches are the same for all years up to 2005, right? Is there a difference for those of us with 90-97’s?
A - That is a mistake. The locks should work for all makes through 2007.

Q - Are the TopLoc's compatible with my rollbar?
A - If your factory latches work normally or as the manufacturer intended then the TopLocs will work fine.

Q - What is your flat ship rate to the lower-48?
A - Shipping will be $8 for single or pair

Q - Do you offer international shipping?
A - I have only shipped to Canada and I think it was about $15. I will ship them anywhere but the shipping cost will be passed on to the customer.

Q - Are Black, Purple and Clear anodized the only colors available?
A - Yes, however if there is enough interest he will make other colors for us - thus my poll.

Q - When will I be able to order them at the discounted rate?
A - As soon as I give the owner the thumbs up that we have at least 10 people with commits to buying a pair I will ask him to provide me with the discount code, which I will pass on to each of the interested GB participants.

GB List as of 1/7
  1. MiniMe - Clear, Burnt Orange, Red or Blue
  2. FRT_Fun(Mturbo.net) -Black
  3. RunninOnEmpty(Mturbo.net) - Red or Clear
  4. Eunos R - Burnt Orange or Red
  5. Saphire NB8C - Blue or Black
  6. b00staholic - any
  7. Papa Smurf - Burnt Orange or Purple
'93 black&red LE #1455/1500 "GoKart" aka: MiniMe humping the JDM laser(FOR SALE),'94 white &tan "TheTurd" aka: buttmunched, '93 black&red LE #????/1500 "NoNameYet" VVT swap, NB subframes and drivetrain, '93 White C-Pkg "MiniMe" - track Roid racer(broke), '94 Laguna blue & Tan "P729MX5" FM 1 turbo(parts car) & '91 BRG"TheHULK" my ugly new track monstrosity(work in progress)
Eunos R
NCR Supporter

Re: TopLoc Group Buy - 10% off, but we need at least 10 sets

Postby Eunos R » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:11 pm

I'm in for a pair of red or copper orange. BTW, how much would it be? 10% of the website listed price?

Jeff
'95 White Leather w/PEP / R-Package Hybrid
My Flickr Photostream, My Picasa Albums
"Selling my passenger seat/harness. Car is too fast for joyrides. :(" - Savington
minime
Stage 4

Postby minime » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:14 pm

oooh, burnt orange is one of my favorite colors - good idea...

Yes, it would be 10% off the price on the website + tax and shipping. If a bunch of you guys are local to each other what you could do is have one person do the order so you could split shipping - I have an email in to him asking about shipping discounts -I am assuming it would average less than $8 per pair if multiple locks were shipped together - stay tuned for the answer on that.

Thanks,
Mike
'93 black&red LE #1455/1500 "GoKart" aka: MiniMe humping the JDM laser(FOR SALE),'94 white &tan "TheTurd" aka: buttmunched, '93 black&red LE #????/1500 "NoNameYet" VVT swap, NB subframes and drivetrain, '93 White C-Pkg "MiniMe" - track Roid racer(broke), '94 Laguna blue & Tan "P729MX5" FM 1 turbo(parts car) & '91 BRG"TheHULK" my ugly new track monstrosity(work in progress)
2cam16
Stage 4
Car(s): '01 Subaru Fozzy
Car(s): Specialized HR Disc
Car(s): '82 Shogun Sport300

Postby 2cam16 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:19 pm

I'd get a pair if I even had side latches. :(
Rob
thehak
Stage 3
Car(s): 99 nb

Re: AVOID HARDTOP THEFT - TopLoc Group Buy - 10% off

Postby thehak » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:00 pm

do they fit if you have roll bar?
minime
Stage 4

Postby minime » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:41 pm

The FAQ's I put in my first post answer that
emmexfive
Stage 2
Car(s): 91 Base

Postby emmexfive » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:51 pm

i really want to get one but i have future plans of getting a rollbar, does anyone know exactily which roll bars this would work with?
minime
Stage 4

Postby minime » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:12 pm

Just verify if the rollbar allows full use of the stock hardtop latches. If it does then it will not interfere with these locks. If you go to the website you will see how they attach to the striker plates. Basically you remove the two 10mm torx/buttonhead screws and then use the longer supplied screws to bolt the locking frame onto the striker plates. The lock mechanism is inserted into the frame and that prevents the latch from moving. So basically if you can latch and unlatch the hardtop latches then these locks will work as well.
minime
Stage 4

Postby minime » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:19 am

3 commits thus far - Happy Thanksgiving all!
Saphire NB8C
Stage 4
Car(s): 10AE
Car(s): 2007 Lexus IS350
Car(s): Your girl

Postby Saphire NB8C » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:26 pm

ill commit to BLOOOOOO :banana:
"tits or tires...expect problems."
العريف يوين هو في العراق
طلقة واحدة ، قتل واحد. على استعداد للموت ، وسوف أبدأ!
SoO SpEc Mx5: can't afford gas anymore...can't support the war
ImageImage
minime
Stage 4

Postby minime » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:32 pm

k, well the catch is the TopsLocs dude might not agree to make any of these other colors unless we can get a LOT of people that want the same color, just fyi.
Saphire NB8C
Stage 4

Postby Saphire NB8C » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:52 pm

minime wrote:k, well the catch is the TopsLocs dude might not agree to make any of these other colors unless we can get a LOT of people that want the same color, just fyi.

yea i pretty much picked that up...and im already prepared for it NOT to happen...esp with jeff's "burnt orange" :wtf:....ill get black if all else fails :P
العريف يوين هو في العراق
ImageImage
Snake520
Stage 3
Car(s): '99 Miata

Postby Snake520 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:20 pm

Since my rollbar is in the way, should I just buy spec miata bracket kit?
kuroi
Stage 2
Car(s): 95 roadster
Car(s): 86 Pajeros
Car(s): 74 Celica liftback

Postby kuroi » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:01 pm

I dunno, I think I could pry those locks hard enough with a small crowbar to strip them out of those bolt holes....
Snake520
Stage 3
Car(s): '99 Miata

Postby Snake520 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:10 pm

Dam.. lol, So am I screwed when I get a hardtop?
garageSTAR
Stage 3
Car(s): AE86
Car(s): TC

Postby garageSTAR » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:14 pm

I was thinking the same thing. I think spec Miata latches with Allen bolts would make it harder to steal a hardtop. If you have 1 lock, all you have to do is break that lock and it will take 5 seconds to take the top off.
kuroi wrote:I dunno, I think I could pry those hard enough with a small crowbar to strip them out of those bolt holes....
Eunos R
NCR Supporter

Postby Eunos R » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:04 pm

garageSTAR wrote:I was thinking the same thing. I think spec Miata latches with Allen bolts would make it harder to steal a hardtop. If you have 1 lock, all you have to do is break that lock and it will take 5 seconds to take the top off.
kuroi wrote:I dunno, I think I could pry those hard enough with a small crowbar to strip them out of those bolt holes....

Compare to the spec Miata plates, this is much stronger. The seller was at a UC meet one night and was showing the lock. That thing was "SOLID". You would have better luck prying the spec Miata plates off than this lock. If you hold that that lock in your hand, you will understand what I meant "SOLID".

Jeff
'95 White Leather w/PEP / R-Package Hybrid
My Flickr Photostream, My Picasa Albums
"Selling my passenger seat/harness. Car is too fast for joyrides. :(" - Savington
Saphire NB8C
Stage 4

Postby Saphire NB8C » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:03 am

i guess to the nekkid eye it just looks like anodized aluminum :P
العريف يوين هو في العراق
ImageImage
kuroi
Stage 2

Postby kuroi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:08 am

No the lock is not in question, it looks damn beefy. I'm talking about those bolts and the threads that hold them. The way that thing is spaced from the latch looks perfect to get a bar in there and POP! I know no one would want to do it to their car but a junkyard miata would be a great test mule, that is if he's willing to let someone try it. My money says a pry bar strips/breaks those bolts or the holes relatively easy...
kuroi
Stage 2

Postby kuroi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:21 am

Ok now that I look at it more carefully those bolts are for sure the weak point. I'm not trying to be a jerk it's just that I deal with material strength allot with the fab and auto work I do (I've striped and broken my fair share of bolts) and those bolts diameter at that length don't strike me as being able to take too much abuse. The lock looks like a tank but the strength of the mounting doesn't sell me at all. It looks like they even left the bottom bolt hole open/exposed so you can stick a tubular rod in there and bend the lock right out of the way, or maybe take the bottom bolt out and only have to deal with one bolt to break.
Sorry, my 2 yen
Saphire NB8C
Stage 4

Postby Saphire NB8C » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:51 am

any type of security beats OEM latches hands down. the locks (toploc/beatrush) can double visually as deterrence items as well. im assuming most thieves want an in-and-out approach without snags. the hardtop can be removed in 15 seconds or less with 2 people and a getaway driver in a truck. if they have to deal with another lock and prying and other variables which would jeopardize their security and increase the chances of getting caught, i think they would just bounce on the spot.
العريف يوين هو في العراق
ImageImage
kuroi
Stage 2

Postby kuroi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:01 am

I wont argue with that.
minime
Stage 4

Postby minime » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:19 am

garageSTAR wrote:I was thinking the same thing. I think spec Miata latches with Allen bolts would make it harder to steal a hardtop. If you have 1 lock, all you have to do is break that lock and it will take 5 seconds to take the top off.

I think it will take a hell of a lot longer than 5 seconds to break the lock unless you smash it with a 4lb mini sledge a few times and in the process you tweak the hard top latch.

A cordless drill with the correct sized bit and you can zip off the SM plates in 10 seconds per side unless you use security screws, in which case your window is probably busted with glass all over the interior and the theives fubarred the bolt heads tryign to get them off, of if they were smart they just used a drill with some EZ out bolt/screw extractors and ripped them right out in 30 seconds.(or if they had the security tools your top is gone regardless).

I definitely see your points, but I think it would take several minutes per side for a thief unless they know exactly how to break these off. I would love to see a demo of these locks in action on a junkyard car, but I too saw these locks in person and held them in my hand. The locks are beefy.

Also, mini sledge or a small crowbar would probably defeat them, but it would be a royal PITA that most thieves don't want to deal with. I think the visual deterrent alone is probably going to save your window 9 out of 10 times, the 10th time would of course be a undeterred punk with the tools necessary to break them off, a crackhead, or just a complete dumbass that has no idea what he is doing.

As we all know, nothing is bulletproof, but I still think the visual deterrent alone is going to save most, if not all of our tops from being stolen(and save a few broken windows too).

I will ask the owner what grade bolts he uses and will post back here.
garageSTAR
Stage 3
Car(s): AE86
Car(s): TC

Postby garageSTAR » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:05 am

What i meant was. If you break that one lock you have 3 stock latches. Take that one lock out with a crowbar and unlatch the other 3 and it would take 5 seconds to take that top off with 2 people.

minime wrote:

I think it will take a hell of a lot longer than 5 seconds to break the lock unless you smash it with a 4lb mini sledge a few times and in the process you tweak the hard top latch.

A cordless drill with the correct sized bit and you can zip off the SM plates in 10 seconds per side unless you use security screws, in which case your window is probably busted with glass all over the interior and the theives fubarred the bolt heads tryign to get them off, of if they were smart they just used a drill with some EZ out bolt/screw extractors and ripped them right out in 30 seconds.(or if they had the security tools your top is gone regardless).

I definitely see your points, but I think it would take several minutes per side for a thief unless they know exactly how to break these off. I would love to see a demo of these locks in action on a junkyard car, but I too saw these locks in person and held them in my hand. The locks are beefy.

Also, mini sledge or a small crowbar would probably defeat them, but it would be a royal PITA that most thieves don't want to deal with. I think the visual deterrent alone is probably going to save your window 9 out of 10 times, the 10th time would of course be a undeterred punk with the tools necessary to break them off, a crackhead, or just a complete dumbass that has no idea what he is doing.

As we all know, nothing is bulletproof, but I still think the visual deterrent alone is going to save most, if not all of our tops from being stolen(and save a few broken windows too).

I will ask the owner what grade bolts he uses and will post back here.
Papa Smurf
Site Admin
Car(s): '93 'Papa Smurf'
Car(s): '92 Miata 'Silviata'
Car(s): '03 Porsche BoxsterS

Postby Papa Smurf » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:22 pm

99% of thefts will be detered by visual means of security (lock or alarm). the 1% will still attempt it. And of those 1% how many will continue, realizing it'll take more than 15 seconds + special tools or crowbar. Most will just move on to the next dumbass who didn't have a lock on their hardtops. How many miata people have you heard getting their Hardtop's stolen with a security device attached (toploc, scca plates, beatrush, security hex bolt)? my bet is 99% of stories with HT being stolen is because they had no security lock on it, only the factory latch. Saying this..

I'm in for a pair (two) of these. In Burnt Orange. but i'll take purple if toploc won't do custom colors. here's another color suggestion, hot pink. as you can see, i'm going for the most visually noticable color. I will also create two stickers for the windows indicating i have a HT lock on.
NCR window decals! $4
Do you know someone who wants to buy or sell a house? I'll buy a $500 car part, when we close escrow as a "thank you" to you for the introduction.

Return to “Group Buys”